My rhubarb princess organized the tickets and surprised me with an early birthday present - a copy of Sedaris's new book, "When you are engulfed in flames", and a 30 oz can of Libbys Pumpkin in a can. Both would good presents on their own, but together they are absolutely amazing! Thank you!
After the reading I got in line to get my book signed. The guy in front of me asked David Sedaris to sign his book "to my special freak", so I didn't feel too weird about asking him to write it "To Erwin..." It was a good way to get the conversation started. I told him how Germans call me Erwin, but my real name is Erin. He laughed! We talked about expatriate pissing contests and how just recently a butcher tried speaking English to me (See previous post). Living in France, he could totally sympathize. He said, "That happens to me sometimes too. I just want to say them 'F--- YOU. F- - - YOU!!!"
Afterwards the rhubarb princess said, "You do realize he ended the conversation by telling you to F---- off!?"
"Yeah", I replied. "I think he really liked me!"
2 comments:
I am jealous! And I know several people here across the pond who would/will be the same.
I'm not liking the new Sedaris very much... but I LOVE his book signings. In my copy of Dress Your Family he wrote his favorite German word for me -- Kaiserschnitt!
Post a Comment