Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pear in a bottle

The Christmas gift that got the most "ooohs" and "aahhhs" this year was hands down the Williams Pear Schnapps Flo gave my dad.

There is an actual pear in the bottle - doing the backstroke in all that yummy schnapps. I told everyone Flo had tried to pull my leg by saying that the pear is grown in the bottle. "I'm not that gullible - I didn't fall for it!" I said proudly. Needless to say, they got a good laugh out of that.

But, the question of how the pear got into the bottle would not let my dad rest. A few days later he swore he saw a TV show about growing pears in bottles in Michigan. Yeah right, I thought. Now, I was convinced HE was trying to pull my leg!

We finally turned to the all-knowing oracle commonly know as google to solve this mystery. Lo and behold, the pear does grow in the bottle. Who would have thought?

2 comments:

Lady Lisa said...

you crack me up. I oddly enough, knew that the pear grew in a bottle right off the bat. Apparently I watch too many shows involving alcohol. :-)

Emily said...

I had wondered this myself before seeing a tv documentary on the same subject. Poor pears. I know why the caged pear tastes so damn good.